The Loop

Sunday, August 17, 2008

yisshachar and zebulin

Greetings Zackses ?
What is the plural of ZACKS
ON SHABBAT WE WERE LEARNING THE BICHAS YAAKOV ABOUT YISSCHAR AND ZEVULLIN. WE TRIED TO ANSWER THE QUESTION WHY WAS LEARNING TORAH DIFFERENT THAN OTHER MITZVOT. IF I ENABLE YOU TO DO THE MITVAH OF LULAV I MAY GET REWARD FOR HELPING YOU DO A MITVAH BUT I DO NOT GET THE MITVAH OF LULAV WHEREAS WITH TORAH- IF I ENABLE YOU TO LEARN I GET YOUR TORAH. WE HAD A COUPLE OF ANSWERS BUT NONE THAT WAS SATISFYING. ANY THOUGHTS?
We just finished a great zacks BBQ sending the Boca's back to florida to enjoy the upcomming huricane season. They threatebn to return for thanksgiving.
Hope everyone enjoyed shabbos nachmu.
The DAD

5 Comments:

  • OK, so many questions... First of all I've come to believe that the possessive form and the plural form of Zacks is Zacks'.

    IMHuO, I think that learning Torah is different because it can and should be a full-time occupation. And if it's a full-time occupation, there isn't time for earning. Lulav takes up an insignificant time of the day, like during a coffee break at work. With learning, it can be either-or, or both, and if one chooses it to be completely Torah, the person enabling him to do he wonderful full-time Mitzvah gets the reward also.

    I love talking Torah with you, Daddy!

    By Blogger Veev, at 7:16 AM  

  • I agree with Aviva on both question, mostly.
    However, I don't think the relationship is limited to full time learning. It works for anyone giving charity to support learning torah.
    Learning Torah is different, it's equivalent to all mitzvot. It's different in many ways - priority between mitzvot, philosophical questions such as which is greater - learning or doing, etc. I think the basic idea is that learning torah is elementary / a basis, like emunah, rather than like any other mitzvah.

    By Blogger Shlomo, at 12:33 AM  

  • I disagree with you both. If I make an agreement to support someone to learn torah. Than even If I never opened a sefer, I would KNOW his torah in the next world. This agreement must be made before the other guy learns not after he is already learning. If I give tzedaka to a yeshiva, I do a great mitzvah but I dont get their learning. So im still looking for why

    By Blogger dad, at 9:00 PM  

  • 1. Your reward for supporting Torah doesn't mean you will "know" that Torah...
    2. What's your basis for saying the agreement has to be made in advance?

    By Blogger Shlomo, at 6:55 AM  

  • Shlomo and Aviva- If you go to this web site it will give you the source for the yisshachar and zebulun relationship. I thought that it was pretty neat that it says pretty much what I thought
    http://www.torah.org/advanced/business-halacha/5757/vol3no15.html

    By Blogger dad, at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home