The Loop

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Question on the parsha

In this weeks parsha, Sarah (Why didn't Sarah spell her name "Sarra"?) overhears that will have a baby, laughs and says her husband is old. When Hashem repeated the story to Avraham, he changed the story slightly and said that she said the she is old. I remember learning back in the day that the reason Hashem was able to change around Sarah's words were for Shalom Bayit purposes. So that Avraham wouldn't get mad at Sarah.
My question is, didn't Avraham know that he was old, I joke around sometimes that my Ayshet Chayil is old(er than me) and she isn't close to 100 years old. Avraham and Sarah had been married for many many years at this point, I'm sure it came up in conversation that they weren't spring chickens anymore. Is there any other explanation given as to why Hashem changed around Sarah's words?

1 Comments:

  • I don't think the issue is Avraham knowing he was old. It's that Sarra pointed the finger at home. Besides being ridiculous (after all, he's had Yishmael when he was 86, clearly HE wasn't the problem), that's not very friendly. If you are your Eshet Chayil were late going somewhere & you blamed her, she might be upset even if it wasn't news to her...

    By Blogger Shlomo, at 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home