The Loop

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Nearly ran out of gas

I was meeting Zip in Chasmonaem yesterday after work, I noticed that my gas tank was basically empty, so I stopped at the first gas station that I saw and they told me that they don't accept foreign credit cards. So i drove on, I got on the Ayaalon in Tel Aviv, my tank was down to two bars, I got off the highway twice and drove around and couldn't find a gas station. I got back on the highway, now it was highway 1, at this point my final bar was blinking. I came up to an exit towards Rishon Ltzion, I got off, and drove for a while, and didn't see any gas stations. I had a feeling that I couldn't turn around and get back on the highway without running out of gas, my best bet was to continue. At a red light I asked someone if he knew where the next gas station was and he said he was pretty sure that it was 2 KM ahead of us, I hoped that I would it. Thankfully he was right I made it it to the gas station, I coasted part of teh time, went into neutral at all red lights, but I made it.
The question is, what would I have done had a I run out gas? Has that happened to any of you here? I did it once in Southfield but I was still on Fairfax when it happened, so it wasn't a big deal.

6 Comments:

  • We almost ran out of gas on the 443 back to Ar and Vee's one late night, But G-d was good to us.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:45 AM  

  • i was gonna mention that you ran out of gas on fairfax :)

    By Blogger docyaak, at 9:53 AM  

  • I ran out of gas once when I was on Northwestern and 12 Mile, right after Nava was born. Mom was with me and walked across the street to the pharmacy to buy a container and the gas station next store to buy gas. Thanks again, Mom!

    By Blogger Veev, at 12:26 PM  

  • I've run out twice in J'lem. I walked to a gas station, filled a drink (1.5 liter) bottle & then drove to the gas station.
    Does your US CC not work in the self-service pumps? Ask your parents what they do when they're here...

    By Blogger Shlomo, at 5:55 PM  

  • Shlomo it didn't work at the self serve or the full service. I haven't had this problem at any other gas station, just that one

    By Blogger Just Shu, at 1:32 AM  

  • If you can find a cow by the side of the road- sometimes methane gas will work wonders- Just ask the cow to stand next to your gas tank and connect a small caliber hose between the cows south side and your tank. then gently rub the cows underbody and that will get the methane gas running right into your car- i do this all the time with my prius

    By Blogger dad, at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home