The Loop

Monday, September 19, 2011

Rosh Hashannah

This is probably an easy question but I cant think of an answer

Why is Rosh Hashannah consider part of the 10 days of repentance? We are not allowed to say vidui- We dont say Al chet- We dont say Ashamu etc. But according to the Rambam there is no Teshuvah without Vidui. What makes my question even odder is that the main Mitzvah of rosh hashanah is blowing the shofar which is to awaken us to do teshuvah- but we cant do teshvah without vidui ?
A conumdrum .
I will offer up a large SLURPY to anyone who can satisfy me with an answer.
(Americans can collect the slurpy at 7-11 and Israelis can collect it at Holy Bagel in MOdiin
the DAD

9 Comments:

  • The question would seem to apply equally to שבת תשובה

    By Blogger Shlomo, at 3:58 AM  

  • Because in our Tfilot things are different. Think of Shmoneh Esrei. We start referring to Hashem as Hamelech. We refer to the Sefer Hachayim. We are continuing to psych ourselves up (now that Elul is completed) to the epitome of Teshuva - which is Yom Kippur.

    By Blogger Veev, at 7:15 AM  

  • What mom said.

    By Blogger Small Fry, at 8:50 AM  

  • Perhaps it's like אבלות on Shabbat - we do private things but not public ones.
    וידוי is only one (albeit necessary) step, we can do others on שבת & ר"ה.

    By Blogger Shlomo, at 4:25 PM  

  • I'm buying Small Fry a slurpee!

    By Blogger Veev, at 4:53 AM  

  • עשרת ימי תשובה is a 10 step process. (Like AA, etc). Rosh Hashana is the first and least intense day, while Yom Kippur is the final and most intense day.
    Before you can start with וידוי, you have to first establish the ground rules, in other words why do teshuva at all.

    Rosh hashana is the day that we accept on ourselves the yoke of heaven and the kingship of Hashem. Before that happens, vidui is pointless.

    By Blogger rockofgalilee, at 4:55 AM  

  • That's what I said. Only with fewer words.

    By Blogger Veev, at 8:03 AM  

  • I don't think that what I said was even close to "I'm buying Small Fry a slurpee"

    By Blogger rockofgalilee, at 2:49 PM  

  • Aseret Y'may Teshuva allows us to go through a normal week with the focus on it's almost Yom Kippor...am I living my Monday's as I should? Is there something I can add to my Shabbat? How can I improve my Thursdays? But something is missing from that cheshbon hanefesh for the past year, Chag. Rosh Hashana being a part of Aseret Y'may Teshuva gives us the opportunity to focus on our chagim...and to help us enter Yom Kippor having lived through a 10-day model of the past year.

    By Blogger 2R, at 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home