The Loop

Thursday, May 21, 2009

DID I DO A MITZVA ?

We opened the pool yesterday and have been chasing ducks out all the time. This morning I went out and there was a duck which I tried to chase away, but it wouldnt go. I yelled - I threw a ball at it - Then I chased it and finally it left. On the first step of the pool was a duck egg. I took it out to show the grand kids. Did I do the mitzvah of "shiluah hakan" (sp) ?

the dad

ps Ya'sa ko'ach to BATCH . It was obvious to me that any one who would interview you would have to hire you. Your electric personality probably bowled them over !!

5 Comments:

  • The mitzvah doesn't apply in this case since it's in your yard & not the wild.
    Generally speaking, some poskim say the mitzvah doesn't apply since you didn't want the egg, and in fact it's צער בעלי חיים. Others say it's a mitzvah, some even saying you should do so (while the others say there's no commandments but it's a mitzvah if you do).
    Shabbat Shalom!

    By Blogger Shlomo, at 3:39 AM  

  • I was thinking of the pool the other day..I miss it

    By Blogger Just Shu, at 4:05 AM  

  • I think that since the duck was a wild duck it doesn't matter where the egg was found. You should ask the rabbi what he thinks. It is not a very common mitzvah

    By Blogger Air Time, at 5:04 AM  

  • I wish I had been there to see it!

    By Blogger Veev, at 2:41 PM  

  • in israel it is very common for people to have a nest on the balcony/porch and to do shiloach hakan often. i never thought this was good because it is kavuah and not happened upon, but there are many who disagree. i think you did the mitzvah. GO DAD

    By Blogger docyaak, at 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home