The Loop

Friday, April 16, 2010

צדקה

We are currently learning הלכות צדקה from פניני הלכה by ר' אליעזר מלמד (http://www.yeshiva.org.il/midrash/shiur.asp?cat=384&id=7238&q=) after mincha at work & two things were mentioned this week that I thought I'd share, as we've discussed this previously.
1. Giving צדקה to non-deserving people doesn't count as a מצוה. His source is בבא קמא ט"ז עמוד ב.
2. People at the door should be given something but not a large amount. "Something" is probably enough to buy some food, which he says is 1/2 NIS. Other opinions are that a pruta is enough - 2-3 agorot. The source is בבא בתרא ט עמוד א
שבת שלום

8 Comments:

  • So recently someone asked me for tzedaka and I gave her and then she asked for more, so I asked someone here what to do and she replied, 'don't worry about her she isn't that bad'. So I kinda felt bad that I wasted my Tzedaka, but the I though well at least it was a good deed. So basically are you bursting my bubble!! Were's the good in this story.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:45 AM  

  • Hopefully you will live for long time & have many chances to do things differently.
    Chodesh Tov!

    By Blogger Shlomo, at 1:39 PM  

  • Go - I like your good intentions, and so does Hashem!!

    By Blogger Veev, at 3:46 PM  

  • i think when the gemara was written 1/2 NIS was able to buy more than it can buy today, so you may have to update that to a few nore NIS

    By Blogger docyaak, at 11:07 PM  

  • 1/2 NIS is from פניני הלכה which was printed 4 years ago, the גמרא doesn't specify the amount

    By Blogger Shlomo, at 2:13 PM  

  • I don;t think you can buy anything for a 1/2 NIS

    By Blogger Just Shu, at 12:28 PM  

  • you can get some fruit in the shuk...when you hear someone say "kilo b'shekel, kilo b'shekel" ask them for 1/2 kilo. ;)

    By Blogger 2R, at 9:37 AM  

  • the person is certainly in the category of poor person, and the tzedaka was not wasted. The comment was more along the lines of you don't have to kill yourself worrying about her.

    By Blogger Sim Zacks, at 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home