The Loop

Thursday, August 18, 2005

On the Rivers of Babylon....

Its amazing how split this country is. On the one side, people holding sign, "We will not foret and not forgive", or "They threw me out of my home". On the other side, town is mobbed with more then the usual amount of people going to eat or just hang out.
I spoke to Sarra earlier, she is still down south, not in Gaza but in Nitzanim, helping the people whove been evicted to settle in.
I went into Center One today, its right next to the hotels where they put a lot of the evictees. It was extremely depressing. You can clearly spot them. The kids in orange with the big kippa sruga and even bigger peyot. The old man with the beard and the orange hat, looking around, confused. The little kid walking around, biting his tzitzit hard, looking as frightened as could be.
There was someone sleeping near the city entrance this morning. He had a sign, "Kick me out of my house also". There were sign all over the city entrance showing support for the evictees and against the government.
I went there last night, there were probably a bit over 100 people, quietly holding signs. There were cops guarding them in case they planned on blocking the highway, but this wasnt that kind of protest. As I was standing there a bus passed by, full of people that had been evacuated and sent here. We all started clapping and singing as they came by. It was so sad, but amazing. They arrived at the hotels and people were waiting for them with food and just support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home