The Loop

Monday, January 09, 2006

Melting

If you read this blog, one may ass-u-me that you also read Airtime. You might recall a story about our little lady's snowgirl melting causing all kinds of horrible reactions.

Well, she is now afraid of bing upstairs by herself, being in her room by herself, and, therefore, going to sleep by herself. When we ask her why, she cries and says she is melting. So Air asked the advice of a budding PhD over Shabbos and his opinion was that she is simply afraid.

"So what should we do?" Air asked innocently enough.

"Stay with her in her room so she is not afraid."

Now, I think I should already have known this. I had nightmares every night for most of my adolescence, and nobody stayed with me to allay my fears. And wouldn't I have appreciated that show of love?

So that very night I dragged the rocking chair in and sat down in the silent, dark room. I didn't let her talk to me, and I didn't move. I just sat there for about 20 minutes. She kept checking on me to see that I was still there, and eventually I told her I had to go to the bathroom but that I would be right back. She nodded that it was OK. I came back five minutes later and she was asleep. I have now done this twice. It's very relaxing.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home