The Loop

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Upsherin

Well, Yaakov may be mad if I post because then his post will get knocked down but I think we have all seen enough of that so I don't feel bad.

So, as you guys may or may not know - we have decided to have Jonah's Upsherin this Sunday on Lag B'Omer! It would probably mean more if we were in Israel but hey, we named Kid #2 Tzion so at least that is a step in the right direction. We also decided to do it then because we had a ridiculous amount of leftover desserts and sweets from Sammy's Sholom Zachor and needed to have a party to get rid of them at.

We are trying to keep this as easy and simple as possible but I was just chatting online with my New York friend who started saying things like I should be giving "peklach" to the kids and I can make bags that look like tzitzit. So I started getting a little nervous and now I turn to you at the blog.

While it's not necessarily a Zacks custom to do an Upsherin, perhaps you have been to enough of them to know what exactly is supposed to be done there.
Anyone?

I've only been to 2 and they were basically birthday parties. Then again, the kids were turning 3 so they were birthday parties. I know one kid was fed candies while his hair was being cut and everyone took a turn taking a snip. They also had a special cake that looked like tzitzit - I think. The other one was a small party and only the parents and grandparents snipped the hair and all the kids got to paint cookies that were in the shape of the Aleph Beis and then eat them.
So, what should we do? Is there anything we are "supposed" to do?
And - do we give him a kippah and tzitzit now or can we wait until he is 3?

Hope you guys can help me!!!! THANKS!

4 Comments:

  • 1. Don't take advice from peope who raise kids in NY.
    2. There are no rules.
    3. He should not be made to feel scared.
    4. I think you give him tzitzit when he is potty trained and a kippa when he wants one.
    5. It's a party - have fun!

    By Blogger 2R, at 8:20 PM  

  • the ones i have been to have been glorified bday parties (or half birthday parties) lots of candy some food, and some aleph bais and candy for the kid, the people come take a snip and give him a bracha. others were just family and you take a snip too. at the end someone fixes up the mess, everyone keeps the hair!

    By Blogger docyaak, at 10:49 PM  

  • it says in the torah, "do not give your kid to molech"

    By Blogger rockofgalilee, at 3:15 AM  

  • -I think the main thing is not to freak him out.
    -We've always used tzizit as a toilet training bribe.
    -All of them I have been too everyone takes a snip.
    -and the activity depends on if its mostly adults or mostly kids.
    from rolling

    By Blogger rockofgalilee, at 3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home