The Loop

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Baruch Dayan Emes

Theres a boy in Silver Spring who's been in a coma since he was 2.
He would've turned 17 in a month. Maybe two.
Shauli Mordehai. He's my friends twin brother.
Or at least, he was.
He died today. At 1:00. He just stopped breathing.
How can you just stop breathing?
Everyone knew it would happen. No one expected it to.
I never met him. All the people i know have met him though. They went to his house for Chessed.
Or at least, they used to.
Rabbi Katz talked to us today about him. He was crying. So was everyone else.
I cried. I never met Shauli. I cried anyways.
Rabbi Katz said that Shauli had a pure neshama. He said that he never spoke lashon hara, he never lied, he never offended anyone. All he did was bring Chessed to our community. He said that God wanted his neshama back, because it was so perfect. He said a lot of things. A lot of things that I couldn't hear because of all the crying in the room.
So many people cared for Shauli. So many people said tehillim for him every day. I did.
I would've davened harder.
I should have davened harder.
I'm going to the leviya tomorrow.
I'm kind of nervous. Nervous about what to say, nervous about how to react to Daniella when I see her.
Daniella's my friend. She's Shauli's twin sister.
Or she was. Does that change...when someone dies? You're always their sister, aren't you?
I don't know.
I'm just really sad.
Everyone in my school is.
Everyone in my community is.
I never met Shauli, but he still made an impact on my life.
He's going to heaven.
I know he is.

4 Comments:

  • That is really tough. I say just be there for her, you don't have to say much. The things that impact help you grow, even though they are hard to get through.

    By Blogger Rolling hills of green, at 1:52 AM  

  • Gol's right. Don't try to find the right words. There aren't any. Just be available.

    Wow, such a heavy funeral for you. Good luck.

    By Blogger Veev, at 3:58 AM  

  • Veev, brings back memories of another "heavy funeral? I'm sure it made you stronger!

    By Blogger hostess, at 3:35 PM  

  • It does. That's why I "get it".

    By Blogger Veev, at 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home