The Loop

Thursday, February 24, 2011

My run-in with the law

The other day, I had just picked up Jonah from his soccer chug, I was getting in the car when David called. We were, as usual. sharing some deep important philosophical insights, and I headed home. A minute or two later I noticed a motorcycle had pulled up beside me and was pointing to me to pull over. I assumed that he needed some directions, so I slowed down and started rolling down my window when I noticed it was a police officer. I silently cursed to myself and quickly ended my discussion with David and tossed the phone on the passenger seat.

The cop came over to me and I nonchalantly gave him a "Mah Nishamah" (whats up) and gave him my license. He asked for my registration, and I had no idea what it looked like, so I gave him a stack of papers and told him this was my first time getting pulled over. I attempted to do this in Hebrew, and he tried to speak a little English. At some point I had explained I was "B'lachatz" (stressed) and that's why I didn't think to turn on my Diborit (loudspeaker) , which I have installed. He showed me which paper was my registration, but pointed out that we were a month and half late for getting our car tested.

I tried explaining that we were in the process of getting it done, we went once, but had to get something fixed so it will pass the test. Then he asked me if I knew that you couldn't drive while talking on the phone, I thought he had asked if I knew how much teh ticket was for driving while talking on the phone and said he no. He looked surprised and said really, then I realized my mistake and said, Oh, I know you can't drive and talk on the phone, I thought you asked if I knew how much the ticket was, and that I don't know.

He told me it's a 1,000 NIS fine, then he gave me my license and all the papers, told me to have a good day, and left. Not only did he not give me a ticket, he didn't even give me an official warning. But the message was clear, and I didn't call David back until I was back at home.

4 Comments:

  • I thought all you have to do is say opah chadash and you get out of everythingi

    By Blogger docyaak, at 8:45 AM  

  • I don't think he's a new Opah yet, Yaak.

    By Blogger Veev, at 2:29 PM  

  • I MISS OPA

    By Blogger docyaak, at 11:00 PM  

  • Yaakov I think it was obvious from my mix of Hebrew and English confusion between tenses and probably screwing that I'm new here. Perhaps that's why he let me off

    By Blogger Just Shu, at 3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home