The Loop

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Fun Day At School!

Finally, school got interesting! It started off the regular annoying way, with accounting at 10. Then at 1 was statistics. Usually, statistics is a low point of my week. The teacher has a horrible Russian accent, the first 8 rows are already taken before I get there, so I sit in the back and cant see the board, and I have no one to talk to. Today, I found an empty seat in the third row. So I told the guy next to me that this will be the first class I will be able to see the board. Then as soon as the teacher walked in, the whole third year class (seniors, cuz there are only 3 years) ran in and started yelling at us. They decided that since 80% of them failed their tests, there was a problem with the tests, not them, and they were going on strike. We were supposed to join them on strike since we havent been offered summer classes either, and everyone who failed econ or 2nd year stuff is going to have to waste a semester next year learning it. I knew about the strike, but I saw that everyone went to accoutning anyway, so i figured maybe it was off. Anyways, the third year came in yelling, half our class was cheering them on, the other half was yelling back, then someone turned off the lights and the air conditioning (the class is in a stuffy basement). It was crazy bedlam. i turned to the guy next to me and told him, it figured this would happen the one day i get a good seat. I was really enjoying all the yelling, but it got very stuffy so I left and joined the strikers. They had 3 big signs put on the side of the economics building. my favorite one said "Want to learn Economics? Dont do it here!!" everyone was just kind of hanging around there. So I sat down and studied for my test coming up in calculus. Then I went and learned Torah. I dont know if the strike accomplished anything, but at least I didnt have to learn statistics. To add to this already wonderful day, myShany made cheesecake last night so I came home and had wonderful cheesecake.
QuickTorah: Sarra brought up a very interesting point about Purim this year. Ive asked a few Rabbis and no one was sure. Since I will be in Yerushalayim on Friday, in Bet Shemesh fo rShabbat (Shany relative bar mitzva) and back in Yeru on Sunday, does my Purim stop when I leave and continue when I come back? Or since I know I'm coming back it flows anyway? Do I say Al HaNissim on Shabbat like yerushalmis do? Or do I have to have a Seudah on Friday in Yeru cuz once I leave the city Purim is over and then Sunday isnt Purim anymore? Shanys Rabbi said to have a seuda on friday and sunday. that works for me.

2 Comments:

  • You're so grown up! Striking and asking shailot...wow.

    On the topic of m-y-s-h-a-n-y:
    Is it like McDonald and therefore it's MyShani, or is myShani, or Myshani?

    By Blogger 2R, at 8:18 AM  

  • I spoke with Rabbi Eisenberger and he said that you have to make a decision to be either in yerusalyim or out but not both- He recommend that if you are spending Shabbat away- you should not stay in Yerusalyim onThurs night or Friday

    By Blogger dad, at 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home