The Loop

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Curing Cancer vs. Eating Ice Cream

Hi all. It's Nat. Finally posting. There have been many times when I wanted to blog because all kinds of craziness is going on in our life but Pittsburgh doesn't have the convenience of internet at home or a babysitter so "spare" time is precious. Any time I do have to sit at a computer, I try to get work done.
Oh, and just to keep you updated - still no news on our missing car.
Ok, so back to the topic at hand. I had an interesting letter waiting for me when we returned home. It was from The Breast Cancer Association or something of the sort. In it was a letter, a check for $2.50 made out to me, and a return envelope. The letter said something like "I don't like to write checks but I wanted to get your attention. We just started our 2005 Annual Drive to raise money for breast cancer research and we need your help. So I am sending you a check for $2.50 and hoping you mail it back to me along with a tax deductible donation of $5.00 or more. It is a real check and if you want, you can cash it and ignore this letter but I hope you don't." And then there is a tear-off portion that says, Yes, here is your check back and a donation to help breast cancer research. or No, I cannot help at this time but here is your check back.
So I showed this letter to Shauli because I thought it was an "interesting" approach and kind of weird. And while we resisted our temptation to cash it (we were even on our way to the bank!) we thought we should send a letter back to them that says "$2.50 won't cure cancer but it will cure my craving for ice cream. Thanks!!".
And then we went to Baskin Robbins.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home