The Loop

Thursday, May 12, 2005

First Shoes....and First Steps?

Well, the time has come to buy Jonah shoes. I don't know that I am ready to buy my baby boy shoes. He's too little. First, come the shoes and then he'll be walking before I know it. Woah..
But the truth is, I feel really bad taking him out without shoes. Because he likes to stand. And go places. Like when we went to the bank the other day to open an account (I know that sounds like we are officially staying in Pittsburgh but it's just a way to deposit Shauli's once a month paycheck so we can attempt to pay the bills and our mortgage). So we had to sit and wait at the bank and Jonah wanted to stand. But I don't know what's on that floor. And while it was probably perfectly clean, I really would prefer Jonah wearing shoes. Because you never know.
So now comes the Shoe Dilemna! Maybe I am making a bigger deal of this then I should be but I always heard that you aren't supposed to put hard shoes on babies who aren't walking yet cuz it can really mess up their feet. Ok, so the cute miniature hiking boots are out.
Recently, I have started hearing about and seeing these soft-soled shoes called Robeez that people LOVE because they stay on and don't mess the little footsies up and yada yada. And they have a whole bunch of designs and colors and what not. Also, they are made in Canada. So I went to check out these said "Robeez" and they were $29 for one pair!! I figured it was just because I saw them in an expensive shoe store so I checked elsewhere and went online and that's basically the norm!!! $26-$29 for a pair of shoes for my 8 month old?? I don't spend that much on shoes for myself. GULP!! And it's not the kind of thing I want to buy used on e-bay (even those are still expensive). So do I give in and buy these GREAT shoes for my baby? Or keep him barefoot? (I did used to dream of moving to the hills near Har Arbel and watching my kids run barefoot through the fields.......) Or get some other kind of shoes? Hmmm.....
What do you suggest??? Thanks, Natalie

11 Comments:

  • make him soft shoes yorself. It cant be much harder then making a kippa...

    By Blogger stillruleall, at 2:16 AM  

  • I'll leave the kippah making to Shany. I've never been able to make one.
    Good thing Shauli doesn't wear knitted kippahs so I don't have to worry about it. :)

    By Blogger Just Shu, at 7:46 AM  

  • First of all, hey Zacks. I invaded your blog. It started with a link to Shauli and Natalies, and here I have found you all. Its great to see updates on everyone. Anyway- Natalie- I had the same exact robeez dilema. First I tried to trick my mom into buying them... but she didnt fall for it either. In the end, I bought him a pair of fake robeez from Target. They were about 7 bucks, and work great. Even on e bay robeez go for more than one should spend on baby shoes.
    -Heidi :)

    By Blogger Heidi, at 11:54 AM  

  • Um, I don't know if you realize this, Nat, but if you want to buy good shoes for your kid, down the line, expect to pay about $30-45 a pair. Been to Stride Rite lately? Shoes are really important, so skimp on onesies, and save your money. You're going to need it!!

    By Blogger Veev, at 6:20 PM  

  • I just want to make sure that you are going to fit him with a pair of everyday shoes, shabbat & yom tov, nice event shoes and sports shoes...there are important things that should not be overlooked..

    By Blogger 2R, at 7:49 PM  

  • im with veev 35-60 dollars for a pair of qualityy shoes. they rewally like the ones with the lights on them too, and then theres the realy cool ones that cost a little bit more

    By Blogger docyaak, at 9:44 AM  

  • why buy quality at this tyime, he will grow out of them so soon
    -shu

    By Blogger Just Shu, at 11:57 AM  

  • gotta look out for those little feeties. Just make sure you keep off the shoes at home so he can figure out how to walk.

    By Blogger Rolling hills of green, at 12:29 PM  

  • why do you you have rub it in our faces that your son canwalk and chanalana just sits there. STOP IT ALREADY!
    just put the kid in socks and he won't be barefoot anymore

    By Blogger docyaak, at 12:57 PM  

  • kov, chanalana just has nowhere to go yet, jonah keeps switching houses and needs to see what's new and exciting...

    By Blogger 2R, at 4:36 PM  

  • He doesn't walk yet. I'm just preparing for it. And starting to save my pennies apparently....

    By Blogger Just Shu, at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home