The Loop

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Yom HaZikaron - USA Style

Memorial Day in US:

1. Sales
2. Barbeques
3. Boating/canoe trip
4. Lazing around
5. (Amazingly) Fighter jets heading towards Canada
6. Junk food
7. (Too much) Time with kids
8. Family hoopla
9. Country music and video stations playing all the best songs about patriotism and war and soldiers (somehow I just don't feel it, except of course the one about 9-11)

What I wasn't expecting was to spend the afternoon with our friends the Eisenbergs who are moving to Israel in, like, 2 weeks. Golda, if you recall our Costco trip together, it took me a little bit to realize it was the last hurrah, and then I was a wreck. This time was different. I didn't ask when they were leaving until we were about to get into our respective cars to go home. But then it hit me.

I really like the Eisenbergs and I hope to remain friends with them.

Have a good day everyone! That's it from here!

Veev

6 Comments:

  • I like the USA style, although our day was
    cut grass
    pack up
    drive to Pittsburgh

    By Blogger Just Shu, at 9:31 AM  

  • We tried to go to a restaurant on israeli memorial day and everyone closed early. I said to one huy, you're closed? and he said (in hebrew) "my brother, it's memorial day."

    By Blogger rockofgalilee, at 10:26 AM  

  • veev, next year Bezrat hashem you will be making that same shopping trip. And tell them to remember to call you.
    I think i would change some of the items on our shopping trip, although they did last a long time.

    By Blogger Rolling hills of green, at 3:02 PM  

  • what about mattress sales and gardening?

    By Blogger 2R, at 4:45 PM  

  • Golda, now that you mention it, was it worth bringing all those spices?

    By Blogger Veev, at 5:28 PM  

  • no, spice stores here are great, but the ziplock bags are awesome, the soap i like, the shampoos we like. they do have alot here, but just when you get here, its nice to have the little things covered, there is too much overwhelming other stuff. Construction paper and stickers are also great to get.
    little thngs.

    By Blogger Rolling hills of green, at 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home