The Loop

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

down...

Hey...I'm just trying to figure out life here a little bit... The two groups I was working with have finally left. I say finally because I counted down the days until they were gone. I am in education becuase I love working with and challenging and learning from teens/young adults... The last two months were spent focused on running two consecutive programs. I did not have a chance to really meet the participants as I needed to spend most of my time on the phone, computer or running between the two programs. After a month of planning and a month of running the programs I do not feel any sense of accomplishment. I think I have found something that I actually suck at. I am wondering if this is a foreshadow of next years program, and I am in the wrong field...I should just turn on the computer and work in graphics or the like, or if I just should chalk this up to more experience and i'll walk into the next program better prepared... I am actually at a loss of what direction to go in. Frusterated, Annoyed, and Discouraged all come to mind when I try to describe my feelings about the programs.

7 Comments:

  • It's "the" problem with education. As soon as the experts become real experts, they become administrators. And they miss the kids and the day to day stuff. Ask my Dad, he's still be a Madrich if it could pay the bills...

    By Blogger Veev, at 5:32 PM  

  • Thnx Vee...i know we all have the same issue...question is do i want to stay in administation...? Maybe i'm not ready to give it all up. I did speak to the Rabbi, director of education at the organazation I work with about this...his answer was, it's not easy, but we try and stay involved as best we can...still not encouraging...

    By Blogger 2R, at 5:52 PM  

  • You probably are going to need to spend as much time with the kids as you can besides all the other (stupid) stuff. See if you can hire someone to handle technical details for you.

    By Blogger Veev, at 9:38 PM  

  • It's not really what she does. She's actually a science finction writer. She just writes about the other stuff to confuse us.

    2r, i think you should wait until you run a program from beginning to end by yourself before coming up with these harsh judgements.

    Also, take a couple years, go to college and become a social worker.

    By Blogger rockofgalilee, at 1:35 AM  

  • Mariah...
    I love the idea of what I do. I love working with people. I love education. I love working one-on-one with students. I hate technical details.

    By Blogger 2R, at 4:23 AM  

  • ROG - or however you'd shortcut that...
    If it wasn't 3-5 years of school - which I HATE - I'd consider it...

    By Blogger 2R, at 4:24 AM  

  • It is very possible that especially in the first year you will have to very involved witht he kids and as the program grows it makes sense that you can higher someone to deal with the details and you can free up some of your time to connect with the kids. schedule yourself in to teach a class or something.

    By Blogger Rolling hills of green, at 4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home