The Loop

Friday, March 11, 2005

chazak chazak

Friday is my day to learn with my 2 gan children as they have learn parsha with your child programs. Today took extra long because they made a siyum on finishing chumash shmot (which is the same thing as shmos in english). So I had to sit there and eat horrible cake and listen to a too long dvar torah. But then all the kids got up and said chazak chazak vinitchazaik and that was pretty cool.

Speaking of dvar toras I found a problem learning daf yomi with the English translation. When you learn with the Hebrew you can come up with your own understanding of what it says. So when The gemara said that women were given breasts instead of understanding, I thought it was a pretty funny statement and explained to my friend on the train that this is why his daughter shouldn't learn gemara because when she got to that part she would just ignore it ands say they didn't know what they were talking about. If that was the case then why would she bother learning it. However the English note on the bottom says that the word במקום which I translated as instead of really means in the place of and it was saying that the heart is the place of understanding and that women feed their children from the place of understanding. It gives it a totally different meaning. It's a good thing I only have the English for the first 34 pages of brachos. In another 23 days I'll be finished with the English for another 7 + years and I'll be able to use my own understanding again.

This upcoming couple weeks are busy ones for us. Goldas brother is getting married next week and the family is in. We first thought it would be a replay of David and Shanys wedding, but it seems like everyone is going off and doing their own thing, so I only took off a couple days from work.

This shabbos we have no guests which is like the calm before the stor m. Next week we have sheva brachos for Corey at our house with about 20 people. We are using the same caterer we for David's party. If he continues to do a good job, he may become our permanent caterer for all those events that we have.

Have a good shabbos.

2 Comments:

  • I think "permanent caterer" is funny

    By Blogger Veev, at 4:32 PM  

  • do they say chazak chazak venischazek yesh lee a piece of ugah and beugah yesh nachash...

    By Blogger docyaak, at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home